Six good reasons to hire a freelance writer:
- Freelance writers are independent contractors. That means you are not responsible for benefits, vacations, taxes, or sick time. You pay only for the time and skill put into your project and nothing more.
- Each new project is a new contract with a freelancer. If you aren’t satisfied, you don’t have to hire him for other projects. Any good freelancer wants to foster return clients and will work hard to make sure that the client is happy.
- A freelancer works from his office with his own equipment and materials. He doesn’t have to tie yours up.
- Freelancers are specialists. They are more likely to get things “right the first time” so that you can meet your deadline.
- There are a lot freelancers out there, so you can shop around for one that fits your needs and your budget perfectly.
- As an “outsider”, a freelancer may be able to offer you a fresh point of view if you want one.
Things to consider when choosing a freelance writer.
- Take some time to find someone who is a “fit”.
- Ask for samples so that you get a sense of his writing style and the quality of his work.
- While you want to shop for your best deal, keep in mind that the old adage, “you get what you pay for”, is very often true. If you’re serious about quality, you may not want to skimp.
- Some freelancer are compensated hourly, some per project, and a few create an intricate formula that combines the two. Clearly define what the task will entail and how the freelancer will be paid.
- Keep in mind that in this digital world of ours, the freelancer you want could be on the other side of the planet. Take full advantage of email, the telephone, video calls, and collaborative software so that you don’t feel limited by geography.